Old-Fashioned Cheese Potatoes Recipe
When my husband and I got married in 1951, one of the first appliances we bought was an apartment-size electric range. The range came with a cookbook that included this recipe. I've used the same recipe ever since!
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded process cheese (Velveeta)
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.
- 2. Place potatoes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce over potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 219 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 752 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC