- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded process cheese (Velveeta)
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.
- Place potatoes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce over potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Cheese Potatoes
"My grandma used to make this when I was a kid (many moons ago!), and every once in awhile I still crave it. This is such a good base recipe -- you can fix it as is (cube the Velveeta, difficult to shred, and you can add it to the milk/flour mixture to melt), or make a one-dish meal by adding saut?ed mushrooms, chopped onions, minced jalape?os (or use Velveeta w/ jalape?os), ham, bacon or smoked sausage or add veggies like broccoli, green beans or corn. Serve with salad, garlic bread, fruit, etc. on the side. Not something we should eat every day, but great occasional comfort food. This can be made ahead of time and put in the oven when you get home from work. You can also microwave the potatoes until they're almost ready, and it doesn't take quite as long for them to get done. (I leave the skins on, too -- all the good stuff is in the skins.)"
"My husband raved about these potatoes, and I love 5-ingredient recipes like this (I don't count salt + pepper)! Definitely goes into the "Blue Ribbon" file. Great comfort food. By the way, cut the Velveeta in cubes, don't try to shred it - it's too soft."
"This is an awesome, comforting dish! I'm a potato and cheese lover, and this was a home run. So tasty and more simple than I thought it would be to make. I made this for a family gathering and transferred it to a slow cooker trio to keep warm throughout the night. This will be a permanent addition to my recipe collection."
"Wow!! This was a huge hit!! Hubby loved it and so did I. Easy to make and soooo yummy!!"
"Loved this recipe! Because I'm allergic to Annatto, a food dye used in numerous food products, like many cheeses, I substituted a shredded white Cheese blend for the Velveeta. Family loved it! Thanks for sharing this recipe :)"