Old-Fashioned Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Orange and green food coloring, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and oil. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; beat into egg mixture. Stir in carrots.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in another large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Add enough milk to achieve desired spreading consistency. Reserve 1/2 cup frosting for decorating if desired. Stir walnuts into remaining frosting.
- 4. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. If decorating the cake, tint 1/4 cup reserved frosting orange and 1/4 cup green. Cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert #7 round pastry tip. Fill the bag with orange frosting. Pipe twelve carrots on top of cake, so that each slice will have a carrot. Using #67 leaf pastry tip and the green frosting, pipe a leaf at the top of each carrot.
- 5. Store cake in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 702 calories, 36g fat (10g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 90g carbohydrate (69g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
"This recipe makes 24 cupcakes. I skipped the walnuts and goofed and added 3 tablespoons of cinnamon but they were still delish,"
"I made this cake for our Easter dessert and it was delicious! I didn't change a thing other than use 8 inch round pans vs the 9 inch because I like my cakes a little taller. It was moist, had the perfect balance of flavors, and the cream cheese frosting was wonderful. The last of it was eaten just last night (3 days later), and I swear it just got more moist by the day! This is a keeper."
"Haven't made this but, here is a link to answer the substitution of applesauce for oil.http://www.livestrong.com/article/429838-how-to-use-applesauce-instead-of-oil-when-baking/"
"A fantastic recipe! I've been looking for a fairly easy carrot cake recipe (from scratch) for quite some time, and I finally found it. I (very finely) ground 1/2 C. of walnuts and added them into the batter for flavor. I use a different recipe for the frosting.... a large block of cream cheese, a stick of butter, confectioners sugar, and vanilla. I don't add walnuts into the frosting, I just lightly sprinkle a bit of the finely ground walnuts on top of the frosting. This cake is a true winner!"
"This cake is fabulous. It's easy to make and looks like you actually took time and trouble to make it! Next time, I'm probably going to find a different, more cream cheese based frosting, but that's just personal preference. The frosting is really great as well! Try this cake! I did leave out the walnuts."
"perfect easy to follow recipe"
"Do you swap 1cup of applesauce for 1cup of oil? Or a different amount? What brand/type of applesauce do you all recommend?"
"Made this for my husband to take to work and it was a huge hit! Walnuts were omitted; will try the applesauce substitution next time."
"My favorite Carrot Cake (minus the Walnuts). I just simply can't stand the textures of those recipes with all the chunks of raisens or nuts in them. This was awesome!"
"I used the applesauce instead of the oil as well. It was VERY tasty!!"
"This is a wonderful recipe! I substituted applesauce for the canola oil, and it made it so moist and delicious!"
"I made this cake for our Church Bake Cook-off and won 1st Place.... Has a rich taste!!!"
"This is a fabulous cake! My family loves it!"
"Luv luv luv it...moist and great"
"Wonderful! The complements just keep coming whenever I make this!"
"this is the one I've been waiting for!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.