Old-Fashioned Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- 1 medium head cabbage (3 pounds)
- 1/2 pound uncooked ground beef
- 1/2 pound uncooked ground pork
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon snipped fresh dill or dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1. Cook cabbage in boiling water just until outer leaves pull away easily from head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls. In a small bowl, combine the beef, pork, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, onion, rice, parsley, salt, dill and cayenne; mix well.
- 2. Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each leaf, making a V-shaped cut. Place about 1/4 cup meat mixture on a cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides. Beginning from the cut end, roll up. Repeat.
- 3. Slice the remaining cabbage; place in an ovenproof Dutch oven. Arrange the cabbage rolls seam side down over sliced cabbage. Combine the tomatoes, sugar and remaining tomato sauce; pour over the rolls. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until cabbage rolls are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
2 each: 260 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 694mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Cabbage Rolls
"Ok. Not the best cabbage rolls I've had. The major problem I had was that the rice did not cook in the rolls and was still hard! I pierced the rolls and cooked longer but it still didn't help much. Definitely needs more moisture! Will continue looking for better recipes."
"My family LOVED this... honestly, we were all skeptical because we aren't big fans of cabbage. However, the cabbage flavor wasn't overpowering. The filling was perfect!"
"Just popped in the oven cooking at 350 for one hour. took me longer to prepare.. never completely follow a recipe because I don't plan.. used Zatarans dirty rice, one can of tomatoes/sauce and only clove of garlic because that's what's here:) and everything else. I think it's going to be spectacular.. tomorrows dinner. guess ill be up late waiting for it to cool. I believe it will be worth it. Thank you."
"Love this one and so do my children!!!"
"Serve with sour cream!"
"This is the recipe I use since I was about 16 (I am almost 30 now). It's very popular in eastern Europe. I also add shredded carrot and saute it with onions with a little oil in a skillet before adding it to the filling. My mother, my aunts and everyone I know boiles the rice (with salt) before adding it to the filling for at least 10 minutes. This way the rolls are more tender inside. Do not use chicken though in this recipe. Also, I use tomatoe paste instead of tomato sauce (I add 1/2 cup of beef broth to make it thinner and brush it over the cabbage rolls so the cabbage is not sweet. And no sugar, the cabbage is sweet enough. I would add more salt too and black pepper instead of cayenne pepper and bake it for 3 hours with tightly covered top (add 1 cup of beef broth to it if baking for more than 1 hour). I rarely add parsley and dill to it, but a lot of people I know, do add it. This is my favorite dish."
"I found in a magazine a while back a trick on the cabbage to soften the leaves..place the whole head of cabbage in the microwave and cook for 5-6 minutes , when cool cut out the core and remove the soft leaves easily. I have found this much quicker then boiling them in water ."
"I'm always glad to find a low carb recipe. I make these every fall with fresh cabbage and tomatoes from the garden. What a treat to have them available in the winter."
"Thanks to mom for this great recipe. I can tell you 1st hand this was a family favorite. Mom just passed away, but the memories of having this great dish will be for a lifetime !"
"First time I ever made cabbage rolls and I'm a "seasoned cook"... they were great! easy to make especially when the thick vein on each cabbage leaf is cut out, makes rolling them up that much easier."
"yummy i just made the cabbage rolls and i must say there are GREAT!!!"