Old-Fashioned Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe
My family gobbles up these biscuits. which are low in fat, cholesterol and sugar. I almost always make these now instead of my old shortening-based recipe.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Combine the buttermilk, oil and sour cream; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times.
- 2. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 biscuits.
1 biscuit equals 142 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 276 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC