My family gobbles up these biscuits. which are low in fat, cholesterol and sugar. I almost always make these now instead of my old shortening-based recipe.
Recommended: 30 Recipes to Make with Fresh Peaches
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Combine the buttermilk, oil and sour cream; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 biscuits.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Buttermilk Biscuits in Reminisce Extra November 2011, p73
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Buttermilk Biscuits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 9, 2014
"These were not as light and fluffy as I would have hoped."