Old Fashioned Blueberry Buckle Recipe
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a medium bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add alternately with milk to creamed mixture. Pour into an ungreased 8-in. square baking pan. Arrange blueberries on top.
- 2. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar. Combine flour and cinnamon; add gradually to creamed mixture. Crumble over blueberries.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 317 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 297mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Old Fashioned Blueberry Buckle
"Was very tasty. I used fresh blueberries from the garden. I also changed the 1/2 milk ingredient to 1/4 sour cream and 1/4 milk. Very good served warm with vanilla ice cream"
"Used fresh wild blueberries...what could be better. Served warm with whipped cream. There is an error in the instructions which through me for a bit..."
"I have had this recipe for 40 years and I drag itout every June when the new crop comes in and we eat it all summer until we nearly burst. You add the milk along with the dry ingredients alternating a little of each until it is all incorporated. However, I find that substituting sour cream for the milk gives you a more moist and tender cake. You may still need to add a Tbsp. or two of milk to get the correct consistency. It makes a wonderful coffeecake. I take it everywhere."
"I guess you add the milk alternately with the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture"
"This receipe doesn't say when to add the milk. Do you add it alternately to the creamed mixture and dry ingredients?"