Old-Fashioned Beef Rouladen Recipe
- 1 pound thinly cut beef top round steak, separated into four pieces
- Coarse-ground prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pepper to taste
- 1 medium dill pickle, quartered lengthwise
- 3 medium carrots, cut into sticks, divided
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 reduced-sodium beef bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- 1. Spread steak pieces with mustard. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. On one edge of each, place a piece of pickle, carrot and a wedge of onion. Roll up and secure with a toothpick. Coat each roll with flour.
- 2. In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Brown beef on all sides. Add the water, bouillon, ketchup and remaining carrots. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Thicken gravy if desired. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 250 calories, 10g fat (0g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 574mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 26g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 0 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 0 fat.