- 1 pound thinly cut beef top round steak, separated into four pieces
- Coarse-ground prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pepper to taste
- 1 medium dill pickle, quartered lengthwise
- 3 medium carrots, cut into sticks, divided
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 reduced-sodium beef bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- Spread steak pieces with mustard. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. On one edge of each, place a piece of pickle, carrot and a wedge of onion. Roll up and secure with a toothpick. Coat each roll with flour.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Brown beef on all sides. Add the water, bouillon, ketchup and remaining carrots. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Thicken gravy if desired. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beef Rouladen in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 1995, p128
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Beef Rouladen
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review