Old-Fashioned Beef Brisket
Tender slices of beef smothered in onions in a sweet tomato sauce give this entrée an old-fashioned feel. It is simple to prepare and delicious comfort food.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain. Top with
- onions. Combine the ketchup, water and wine; pour over meat and
- Cover and bake at 350° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until meat is
- tender. Let stand for 5 minutes. Thinly slice brisket across the
- grain. Thicken sauce if desired; serve with beef. Yield: 12
Nutritional Facts: 4 ounces with 1/3 cup sauce equals 277 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 562 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch.
Wine: This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.: Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4