- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain. Top with onions. Combine the ketchup, water and wine; pour over meat and onions.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes. Thinly slice brisket across the grain. Thicken sauce if desired; serve with beef. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Beef Brisket in Reminisce December/January 2009, p50
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Beef Brisket
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2010
"I made it once with a lg brisket in a Nesco for 4 hours at 400 pour a bottle of ketchup and a bottle of duck sauce over it and thats it."