- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain. Top with onions. Combine the ketchup, water and wine; pour over meat and onions.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes. Thinly slice brisket across the grain. Thicken sauce if desired; serve with beef. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Beef Brisket in Reminisce December/January 2009, p50
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Beef Brisket
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2010
"I made it once with a lg brisket in a Nesco for 4 hours at 400 pour a bottle of ketchup and a bottle of duck sauce over it and thats it."