- 1 cup cold 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 graham cracker crust (9 inches)
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- Additional banana slices, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk milk, vanilla and pudding mix for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Fold in 3 cups whipped topping.
- Pour 1-1/3 cups of pudding mixture into pie crust. Layer with banana slices and remaining pudding mixture. Top with remaining whipped topping. Garnish with additional banana slices if desired. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Banana Cream Pie
Sort By :
This is so easy! I took the advice of some reviews and used banana pudding. My family loved it but next time I will use vanilla pudding. I thought the banana pudding gave it an "artificial" taste. And I agree with others. Stop criticizing recipes just because they take shortcuts. If you don't want to make the recipe as written, just don't! But some of us have very busy lives and appreciate having a great recipe that is so easy.
This is nothing new, I've been doing "cream" pies this way for over 30 years, mainly because I don't care for the taste of cooked custard. By the way, this is not "old-fashioned, unless of course, you've been using my method, and it certainly isn't anything like this recipe!!!!! I don't think this deserves a rating, but I can't post if I don't, so here's your zero star, in the form of 1 star!
This recipe gave me a "Wow, Mom!" yesterday for our Sunday dinner dessert. I made my own crust from graham crackers and certainly didn't mind using instant pudding instead of making homemade, which I have done many times in the past. I even had the whipped cream in thre freezer. Thank you for an easy, delicious banana pie recipe.
Old fashioned should not include instant anything. Making 'from-scratch' cream isn't that difficult and makes an amazing pie. Instant pie/pudding mixes are gastly.
It appears RamblinRon is confusing volume and weight. I think there are approximately 3.5 cups in a 12 oz. container of CoolWhip. Check the container, it should say how many cups are in it. Looking forward to making this this weekend.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Banana Cream Pie Recipes >
- Banana Pie Recipes >
- Cream Pie Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Jello Pudding Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Pie Recipes >