Old-Fashioned Banana Cake Recipe
Banana cake is a typical standby for many home bakers, but Jacqueline Kudron jazzes up her version with crushed pineapple and maraschino cherries. "Is there any way to lighten it up without losing the great taste and moist texture?" she asks from Dracut, Massachusetts. See the recipe for Makeover Old-Fashioned Banana Cake to find out how we answered Jacqueline's question.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 cups cubed firm bananas
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, oil and vanilla. Beat into dry ingredients just until combined (batter will be thick). Stir in pineapple. Fold in the bananas, cherries and walnuts.
- 2. Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 475 calories, 27 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 255 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC