Old-Fashioned Baked Beans Recipe
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 quarts cold water, divided
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring beans, salt and 2 qt. water to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans and discard liquid. Return beans to pan. Cover with remaining water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender. Drain, reserving liquid. In a greased 2-1/2 qt. baking dish, combine beans, 1 cup liquid, onion, molasses, bacon, brown sugar, mustard and pepper. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until beans are as thick as desired thickness, stirring occasionally. Add more of the reserved cooking liquid if needed. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Baked Beans in Taste of Home August/September 1996, p31
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Baked Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review