Old-Fashioned Apple Crisp
Now young adults, our children say this dessert is "awesome" with ice cream. Everyone who takes a bite nods in agreement! Nostalgic, comforting, luscious, call it what you will, this is one of those simple, old-time treats that never goes out of style.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 3 medium)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Place apples in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. In a small bowl,
- combine brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon and allspice; cut in
- butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until apples are
- tender. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 298 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 114 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.