Old-Fashioned Almond Pear Cake
Pear lovers will find it hard to resist going back for seconds (and maybe even thirds) of this old-fashioned cake. Almond extract beautifully complements the pears and tender cake.—Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 4 cups sliced peeled fresh pears
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the pears, ginger and lemon juice; set
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, confectioners' sugar, butter and
- extract until blended. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually
- beat into egg mixture until blended. Stir in pear mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. springform pan; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes
- before cutting. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 343 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 136 mg cholesterol, 171 mg sodium,