Old English Trifle Recipe
- 2 cups cubed sponge cake
- 5 macaroon cookies, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons sherry or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons brandy or orange juice
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup sliced peeled fresh or frozen peaches, thawed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. Place cake cubes and crumbled cookies in a 3-qt. glass bowl. Drizzle with sherry and brandy.
- 2. In a small saucepan, heat 1-3/4 cups cream until bubbles form around sides of pan. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar. Remove cream from the heat; stir a small amount of hot cream into egg mixture. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon; stir in vanilla.
- 3. Layer the raspberries, strawberries and peaches over crumbled cookies; spoon custard over fruit. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat remaining cream until stiff peaks form. Pipe over custard; sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
1 cup: 333 calories, 28g fat (16g saturated fat), 158mg cholesterol, 46mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Old English Trifle
"I will try all the recipes you give me thank you."