This recipe has been a well-guarded secret in my family for generations but I have decided to share it because it is so yummy. It is sure to be a hit in your family as well.—Inge Perreault, Oxford, New Jersey
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 5 to 6 gingersnap cookies, crushed
- Hot cooked spaetzle
- Place bay leaves and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. In a large saucepan, combine the water, vinegar, onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Add spice bag. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- Place the roast in a 2-gal. resealable plastic bag. Add half of the marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 3 days, turning once each day. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Remove meat from marinade; discard marinade, onions and spice bag. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in butter on all sides. Sprinkle with sugar. Add reserved marinade. Bring to a boil. Stir in molasses. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast to a cutting board. Cut into thin slices; set aside. Skim fat from cooking juices. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Add gingersnaps. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return meat to gravy; heat through. Serve with spaetzle. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Old-Country Sauerbraten in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p234
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Old-Country Sauerbraten
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 8, 2010
"Is so good!"