Oktoberfest Strudels Recipe
My husband, being born and raised in Wisconsin, loves bratwurst sausages. So I tweaked this strudel recipe to include some of his favorite filling ingredients and it was an instant hit. Serve with extra mustard for dipping. —Cleo Gonske, Redding, California
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 fully cooked bratwurst links, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2-1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds, divided
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Muenster cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add bratwurst and onion; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in sauerkraut; cool slightly.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix sour cream, mustard and 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds. Unfold one sheet of puff pastry. Spread with 1/3 cup sour cream mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Spoon 2-1/2 cups sausage mixture down center of pastry; sprinkle with 1/2 cup each Muenster and cheddar cheeses.
- 3. Lightly brush edges of pastry with water; bring edges together, pinching to seal. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet, seam side down; pinch ends and fold under. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- 4. Brush tops with water; sprinkle with remaining caraway seeds. Cut slits in pastry. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 2 strudels (3 servings each).
Reviews for Oktoberfest Strudels
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC