Oktoberfest Roast Pork Recipe
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 boneless pork sirloin roast (3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 medium tart apples, cut into wedges
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Meanwhile, combine the sage, salt if desired, pepper, allspice and cayenne; rub over roast.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides; drain. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid; stir parsley into beans. Place beans around roast. Stir in broth.
- 3. Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 150°.
- 4. Place apples and onions on top of beans; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 12 servings.
4 ounce-weight: 304 calories, 15g fat (0g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 83mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 27g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 3 meat
Reviews for Oktoberfest Roast Pork
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer