- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or canola oil
- 1 small head red cabbage (about 1-1/2 pounds), shredded
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- In a Dutch oven, heat bacon drippings over medium heat. Add cabbage and apples; cook and stir 2-3 minutes. Stir in water, sugar, salt, pepper and cloves.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 40-45 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Oktoberfest Red Cabbage
Sort By :
"Delicious! Perfect with pork and would be great on bratwurst or even hot dogs."
"This was an excellent and easy cabbage dish. It was a great accompaniment to pork schnitzel! It had the perfect amount of sugar to vinegar ratio."
"Fantastic! Loved the sweet and sour taste. My German nana taught me to make this, but I've never used ground cloves. It's imparts a great taste. Thanks for posting; will make this again."