- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or canola oil
- 1 small head red cabbage (about 1-1/2 pounds), shredded
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- In a Dutch oven, heat bacon drippings over medium heat. Add cabbage and apples; cook and stir 2-3 minutes. Stir in water, sugar, salt, pepper and cloves.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 40-45 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Oktoberfest Red Cabbage in Taste of Home September/October 2014, p46
Reviews for Oktoberfest Red Cabbage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 3, 2014
Fantastic! Loved the sweet and sour taste. My German nana taught me to make this, but I've never used ground cloves. It's imparts a great taste. Thanks for posting; will make this again.