- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or canola oil
- 1 small head red cabbage (about 1-1/2 pounds), shredded
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- In a Dutch oven, heat bacon drippings over medium heat. Add cabbage and apples; cook and stir 2-3 minutes. Stir in water, sugar, salt, pepper and cloves.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 40-45 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Oktoberfest Red Cabbage
"Fabulous! I made it exactly as directed and got rave reviews!"
"Red cabbage is one of my favorite German foods. This was delicious. I did omit the cloves, just personal preference."
"I was wondering if I can can this recipe? Anyone have any idea?"
"Delicious! Perfect with pork and would be great on bratwurst or even hot dogs."
"This was an excellent and easy cabbage dish. It was a great accompaniment to pork schnitzel! It had the perfect amount of sugar to vinegar ratio."