- 16 small red potatoes
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 16 slices
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Place potatoes in a greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Top with sauerkraut, apples and kielbasa. Sprinkle with brown sugar, caraway seeds, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Cut roast in half; sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Skim fat and thicken cooking liquid if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Oktoberfest Pork Roast
Sort By :
"After cooking for 3 hrs. I found the Pork and potato, kraut, apple, mix seemed so dry that I used my old faithful chicken broth 1/2 can it seemed to make the difference. I would add it at the beginning next time. Flavor was very good just dry."
"Was so easy and yummy. Made mine in a pressure cooker do 30 min. Was wonderful and tender. I didn't have the apple, will try it next time. I used just half a tap of caraway seeds. Turned out perfect."
"My husband loved this recipe! He said it is the best pork and sauerkraut yet. It is very similar to his mothers recipe, but she only uses pork, brown sugar, & sauerkraut. After reading this recipe, I knew he would love it based on what he grow up with. I also doubled the sauerkraut and covered the meat like other reviewers suggested for moisture and it worked the meat was very moist."
"Loved it! To a single recipe I added double the kraut and I'm glad I did, otherwise it would've been too dry. I think next time I will put the pork tenderloin in the middle so it soaks up more juice."
"Followed recipe and had high hopes based on reviews but very disappointed. Pork was tender but tasteless. Won't make this again"