This is my very favorite rice recipe. I've served it many times and it's always received rave reviews. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen okra, thawed
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted
- spoon to paper towel to drain. Saute onion and green pepper in
- drippings for 6-8 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the okra, tomatoes, salt if desired and pepper; cook over
- medium heat for 5 minutes. Add rice; cook for 10-15 minutes or until
- okra is tender and liquid is absorbed. Crumble bacon; stir into rice
- mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with turkey bacon and without salt) equals 134 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 97 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.