Okra Pilaf Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen okra, thawed
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon to paper towel to drain. Saute onion and green pepper in drippings for 6-8 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Stir in the okra, tomatoes, salt if desired and pepper; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add rice; cook for 10-15 minutes or until okra is tender and liquid is absorbed. Crumble bacon; stir into rice mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with turkey bacon and without salt) equals 134 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 97 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.