Okra and Butter Bean Stew Recipe
- 7 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 small green peppers, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced okra
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon and sausage over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Cook onion and green peppers in the drippings until tender. Stir in the water, beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add bacon and sausage; cook 10 minutes longer.
- Stir in okra. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until okra is tender. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Reviews for Okra and Butter Bean Stew(5)
Sort By :
This is a great recipe and one that I will make often. The second time I added fresh basil and cilantro. Yummy
very good stew, first time I had okra and butter beans. Easy to make, excellent taste. Wil make it again.
Being relatively new to okra, I decided to take the author, Kaya's challenge. I wouldn't consider myself an okra hater, but I've never found it very appealing - until I tried this recipe! Very easy to make, tasty, and filling. I look forward to making it again soon. Thanks!
This is one of the best okra stews that I have ever made or tasted. I did modify it the second time I made by adding a couple of small jalapeno peppers to it in addition to the green peppers for an extra kick.
My husband loves it with corn bread.
Cottage Grove OR
Very easy to make and a different kind of Stew. Good Tasting.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bacon Recipes >
- Cajun Dinner Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Cajun Stew Recipes >