This stew is adapted from my mom's down-home Louisiana recipe, and it turns okra-haters into okra-lovers. Guaranteed. —Kaya Mack, Wichita Falls, Texas
- 7 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 pound smoked sausage, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 small green peppers, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced okra
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon and sausage over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Cook onion and green peppers in the drippings until tender. Stir in the water, beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add bacon and sausage; cook 10 minutes longer.
- Stir in okra. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until okra is tender. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 12 servings (1 cup each).
Originally published as Okra and Butter Bean Stew in Taste of Home February/March 2010, p78
Reviews for Okra and Butter Bean Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review