Okanagan Pork Stew Recipe
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) dried mixed fruit
- 3 cups boiling water
- 3 pounds boneless pork, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. Combine fruit and water; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain, reserving liquid; set aside.
- 2. In an ovenproof Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium heat, brown pork in oil until no longer pink; drain. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir until onions are tender. Add enough water to reserved fruit liquid to make 3 cups; add to pork mixture. Stir in the fruit, tomato paste, honey, vinegar and spices.
- 3. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until pork is tender. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 331 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 185mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein.
Reviews for Okanagan Pork Stew
"I was first tempted to make this because adding fruit to stew was a new idea for me. It was wonderful! I will make this stew again and again!"