Okanagan Pork Stew Recipe
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) dried mixed fruit
- 3 cups boiling water
- 3 pounds boneless pork, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. Combine fruit and water; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain, reserving liquid; set aside.
- 2. In an ovenproof Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium heat, brown pork in oil until no longer pink; drain. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir until onions are tender. Add enough water to reserved fruit liquid to make 3 cups; add to pork mixture. Stir in the fruit, tomato paste, honey, vinegar and spices.
- 3. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until pork is tender. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 331 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 185 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.