Oh-So-Good Oatmeal Recipe
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- Maple syrup and/or fat-free milk, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water to a boil. Add the apples, oats and salt; cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes. Sprinkle each serving with almonds. Serve with maple syrup and/or milk if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups (calculated without syrup and milk) equals 245 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 44 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.