I came up with this soup one weekend when my wife and I were hungry for something better than the standard. The first attempt turned out fantastic, and now I’ve got the recipe down to 20 minutes. —Chris Dalton, Mundelein, Illinois
Featured In: 77 Foods to Eat When You Have a Cold
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in pasta; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and green onions; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add asparagus, mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and asparagus is crisp-tender. Sprinkle with pepper.
Add chicken mixture to pasta mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese.
Freeze option: Before adding cheese, cool soup. Freeze soup and cheese separately in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw soup in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Oh-So-Good Chicken Soup in Simple & Delicious April/May 2014
Reviews for Oh-So-Good Chicken Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review