Oatmeal Wheat Bread Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, pour boiling water over cereal. Add the molasses, shortening and salt. Let stand until warm (110°-115°), stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the orange juice, oat mixture and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into two loaves; place in greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks; brush with butter. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Oatmeal Wheat Bread in Taste of Home April/May 1996, p19
Reviews for Oatmeal Wheat Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 21, 2013
"This bread has a really good flavor to it and wasn't difficult to make. Mine was a little dense, but I'm thinking that I didn't knead it enough. Will be trying again!"