Oatmeal Surprise Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2-3/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate-covered raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine flour, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in oats and raisins.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Flatten slightly. Bake 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Oatmeal Surprise Cookies
Sort By :
"I make these all the time instead of plain oatmeal raisin cookies, never had a problem with the dough..maybe because I don't handle it & use a scooper to place the dough on the pan. I love the pumpkin pie spice & have used dark chocolate raisinettes instead of the milk chocolate version for a change. They never last long in my house, great for fall. Great for anytime."
"Made a double batch today & was a little disappointed on how "sticky" the dough was. It did not want to come off the spoon & when on the cookie sheet, you had to shape it wil your fingers ~ what a mess! It took the longest I have ever had , making a cookie to get them all on the pan & baked. Should the dough have been refrigenerated, so it would not have been so hard to work with it? Also, the amount of the pumpkin spice, seemed not to add much flavor., what about cinnamon? My husband thought they were not sweet enough, but with the two sugars & the sweet raisins, along with the chocolate candy, seemed to make it sweet enough. I thought. it was fine, except I would have liked some more spice flavor. The recipe said it would make 36 cookies & doubled, mine & made 99 cookies. Did any one else incounter this same problem, with the sticky dough? Thanks"
"I thought they were good - not great. I liked the chocolate covered raisins but thought the cookie was lacking in other areas. Mine seemed to brown very quickly also - only needed 11 1/2 minutes in the oven. I'm still looking for the great recipe to serve as my standby."
"These cookies were very very dry. Maybe they would be better with some vanilla pudding added."
"I love the hint of pumpkin from the pumpkin pie spice. Excellent!!"