Oatmeal Spice Mix Recipe
"My daughters love packaged oatmeal flavored with maple and brown sugar," explains Marcy Waldrop from Pasadena, Texas. "But because the oatmeal can be expensive, I created my own spice mix for oatmeal. The girls think it tastes better than the store-bought variety."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 5 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 1/2 cup powdered nondairy creamer
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup boiling water
- Brown sugar, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; mix well. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 9 batches (about 1 cup total).
- 2. To prepare oatmeal: In a bowl, combine oats and 2 tablespoons oatmeal spice mix. Add enough boiling water until oatmeal is desired consistency. Sprinkle with brown sugar if desired. Yield: 1 serving.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 290 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 267 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC