"My daughters love packaged oatmeal flavored with maple and brown sugar," explains Marcy Waldrop from Pasadena, Texas. "But because the oatmeal can be expensive, I created my own spice mix for oatmeal. The girls think it tastes better than the store-bought variety."
- 1/2 cup powdered nondairy creamer
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup boiling water
- Brown sugar, optional
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; mix well. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 9 batches (about 1 cup total).
- To prepare oatmeal: In a bowl, combine oats and 2 tablespoons oatmeal spice mix. Add enough boiling water until oatmeal is desired consistency. Sprinkle with brown sugar if desired. Yield: 1 serving.
Originally published as Oatmeal Spice Mix in Quick Cooking January/February 2003, p22
Reviews for Oatmeal Spice Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review