Oatmeal Scones Recipe
Pecans and oatmeal take center stage in these tender treats from Margaret Wilson. "They are delicious with jam or marmalade," says the Hemet, California reader. "I also like them with sharp cheddar cheese or a dab of relish at supper."
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Sprinkle oats onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and toasted; cool. In a bowl, combine the oats, flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Whisk together the egg and buttermilk; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- 2. Transfer dough to a greased baking sheet. Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges, but do not separate. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over dough. Bake at 400° for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.
1 serving (1 each) equals 346 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 398 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Oatmeal Scones
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC