Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies Recipe
These fun treats put a sweet fluffy filling between two chewy oatmeal cookies. They're perfect for snacking and to carry in lunch boxes. At bake sales, they go right away. —Jan Woodall, Indianapolis, Indiana
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 2-2/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in oats.
- 2. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. For filling, in a small bowl, cream the shortening, sugar and marshmallow creme. Add enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread filling on the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 200 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 91 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC