Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 2-2/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in oats.
- 2. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. For filling, in a small bowl, cream the shortening, sugar and marshmallow creme. Add enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread filling on the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 200 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein .
Reviews for Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies
"My toddler usually only nibbles the edge of any given cookie and then says its yucky. I made these and he ate 5 in one night!"
"These are the BEST. Every time I bake these they are a great success. I never have any left overs."
"Every time I have made these they have always turned out crunchy on the outside and undercooked in the middle. I have tried adding more flour and it seemed to help a bit. I will look for a better oatmeal cookie recipe to pair with the cream filling."
"Wow! These are sooo good. I did use quick oats instead of old fashioned because I had just bought a huge container of them and wanted to use them. The texture of the cookie was wonderful. The filling is sooo good. It gave me ideas to use it on cupcakes. They were a hit at work!"
"Made this recipe this week for my hubby who is an oatmeal cookie fan. He absolutely loves them. Shared some with the neighbors and was told they are the best ever !!!!! Excellent recipe and it really looks like it is a lot more work that it is."
"Absolutely amazing! The texture of the cookie is perfect. The filling adds just the right amount of sweetness. They are awesome!!"
"Very bland cookie would not make them again!"
"These are as good, no better than the store bought version. These are super delicious!!!!"
"I made these and everyone that tried them, loved them. Definitely a keeper."
"These are always a hit everywhere I take them. Definitely worth the weight!!"
"This is a very good recipe and nice to bring to a party when you want something special and out of the ordinary, but very portable to take to a picnic! As a TOH field editor, I try many new recipes and this is a keeper!"
"Just finished baking these cookies and they are just delicious! I don't think I'll ever buy another 'packaged' oatmeal creme cookie again!"
"I've made these several times to take to work and they are requested all the time. The chewyness of the cookie and cream go perfect together. Cookies are also great plain, the flavor is delicious. Thanks for the recipe."
"So yummy! My kids loved them with the cream inside but I enjoyed the cookies plain even more!"
"These were wonderful. I didn't go overboard with the cream inside and they were just right."
"These were absolutely delicious, both as sandwich cookies and as individual oatmeal cookies! They're definitely reminiscent of the Little Debbie oatmeal cream pies, but I found these to be much better! Do keep a careful eye on them while baking. I left my first batch in the oven a tad too long and they turned out crispier than I intended."
"Best oatmeal cookies!! You can make them as is with filling , or skip filling and add raisins and any flavor nestle chips you prefer!"
"Delicious cookie, tastes like little Debbie brand."
"These were ok...mine were crispy so I must have over-baked them. They were good, although I might add some coconut, to the cookie, next time for a little more flavor."
"I couldn't have dairy, so I made the filling with vanilla rice milk, and it turned out just fine."
"Delicios!!! WE LOVE THESE"