Oatmeal Rolls Recipe
- 2-1/3 cups water, divided
- 1 cup dry oatmeal
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 to 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add oatmeal and butter; simmer 1 minute. Remove to a large bowl and let cool to 120°-130°. Heat the remaining water to 120°-130°; add yeast. To the oatmeal mixture, add brown and white sugars, salt, yeast mixture and half of the flour. Mix well. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead 6-8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Add additional flour if necessary. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; divide in half and shape each half into 12 balls. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45-60 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes. Yield: 24 rolls.
1 each: 146 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Oatmeal Rolls
"Good, but we've made better oatmeal bread and rolls. Good use of leftover breakfast oatmeal though."