For special events, my mother would bring these cookies to the rural school I attended. She decorated each cookie with a student's name written in frosting.—Sally Gores, Almena, Wisconsin
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, oats, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-3/4-in. cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter, cream cheese and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread over cookies. Decorate with colored sugar. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Oatmeal Rollout Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2014, p13
Reviews for Oatmeal Rollout Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review