These chewy bars took first place in the bar cookie division at our country fair in 2001. Topping them with a coconut-pecan frosting is a tasty twist.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 can (15 ounces) coconut-pecan frosting
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 2 cups for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat frosting for 30-45 seconds or until softened; stir well. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecans. Top with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes or until frosting is bubbly and top is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack; cut into squares. Yield: 40 servings.
Originally published as Oatmeal Pecan Bars in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p242
Reviews for Oatmeal Pecan Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review