Oatmeal Mini Loaves Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter, optional
- Additional old-fashioned oats, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, wheat germ, salt and yeast. In a small saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Add 3 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into five portions. Shape each into a loaf. Place in five greased 5-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with additional oats if desired. Cool. Yield: 5 mini loaves (5 slices each).
Reviews for Oatmeal Mini Loaves(13)
Sort By :
We love this recipe, I use honey and olive oil , leaving out butter. It's great with white wheat flour too.
This was good but very dense. Reading previous reviews, it sounds like it was supposed to be. I thought maybe I had killed the yeast because I did not have a thermometer at my boyfriend's house to test the temp of the water and butter mixture. It did not rise very well for the first rise or after shaping into loaves. It did rise in the oven during baking, so I guess the yeast wan't dead. Like I said, dense, but very good flavor. I liked the small loaves and served with another TOH recipe, Scotch Broth. Very simple, hearty and delicious meal.
A very good, easy recipe. Great toasted with
We really liked this bread with the moist and dense texture.
just right to give as gifts. bread itself is flavorful and moist. easy to make, fine texture.