Oatmeal Mini Loaves Recipe
I first came across this recipe in an old cookbook. As I became more brave with bread baking, I decided to redo this recipe, changing and adding ingredients to enhance flavor and nutrition. —Doris Kosmicki, Pinckney, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. YIELD:25 servings
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter, optional
- Additional old-fashioned oats, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the oats, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, wheat germ, salt and yeast. In a small saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Add 3 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into five portions. Shape each into a loaf. Place in five greased 5-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with additional oats if desired. Cool. Yield: 5 mini loaves (5 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 159 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 295 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC