Oatmeal Loaf Recipe
I was raised on homemade bread, and this recipe couldn't be easier or more satisfying. Sometimes I'll add raisins and cinnamon for a different taste.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- Additional oats
- 1. In a large bowl, combine boiling water and oats; let stand until warm (110°-115°). In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add to oat mixture. Add honey, butter, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch the dough down. Shape into a loaf; place in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with oats. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 128 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 156 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC