- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- Additional oats
- In a large bowl, combine boiling water and oats; let stand until warm (110°-115°). In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add to oat mixture. Add honey, butter, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down. Shape into a loaf; place in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with oats. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews for Oatmeal Loaf
Sort By :
"Excellent homemade bread, moist and soft. I also used my bread machine making cinnamon raisins version. Added more water to the dough. Make 1 9-in x 5-in loaf. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. It turned out great too. I'll make this more often."
"Just made this and it was great! I only had 2 1/2 cups flour TOTAL in the dough. I thought that was odd but any more it would have been way too stiff. It might have been the weather too. Really wet here today. And I baked it for 45 min. But 50 would have been perfect. I will be making this again and letting my clients know about this awesome loaf!"
"I used leftover oatmeal from breakfast and added just a little more liquid. It turned out excellent."
"Perfect loaf...will make often."
"We made it and it was great. Nice and soft, yet made a great sandwich. Yes I will make it often."