- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside. In another bowl, stir boiling water and shortening until shortening is melted. Add honey; cool to 110°-115°. Add the oats, eggs, salt, shortening mixture and 3 cups flour to yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into a loaf. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Prick tops with a fork. Brush with butter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Oatmeal Yeast Bread in Country Extra January 2001, p51
Reviews for Oatmeal Honey Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 20, 2014
Awesome! This is fantastic bread. Definitely a keeper.