I always get compliments on these delicious chewy cookies. The spicy aroma fills my kitchen when they're baking and never fails to set a warm holiday mood. —Sherry Harke, South Bend, Indiana
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in additional sugar.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until set (do not overbake). Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Oatmeal Gingersnaps in Country Woman Christmas 1996, p30
Reviews for Oatmeal Gingersnaps
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review