- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; add oats and butter. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oat mixture, sugars, salt and 4 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; allow to rest for 10 minutes. Shape into 18 balls. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Oatmeal Dinner Rolls
Sort By :
"Don't know what I did wrong. Mine are hard, did not brown nicely and are pretty bland. Barely raised at all. The yeast was new and I'm a pretty seasoned baker. However, considering all the rave reviews, I'm guessing it was my error."
"I've been making these for years since I first saw the recipe in Taste Of Home. My daughter won't let me make any other recipe. A favorite addition to Thanksgiving dinner."
"Soft and delicious!"
"Fantastic. Have made them for years."
"Wow, my new favorite easy roll recipe!"