Oatmeal Date Bars Recipe
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups chopped dates (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice, optional
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1. Place oats in a food processor, cover and process until finely ground; set aside. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the oats, flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to fit a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; set aside.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine the dates, sugar, water and lemon juice if desired; bring to a boil. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 4. Spread over crust. Roll remaining dough to fit pan; place over filling and seal edges. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Combine glaze ingredients; spread over bars while warm. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 each: 174 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Oatmeal Date Bars
"Shortening?!? Trans fats galore! Substitute real butter or cultured butter for a healthier option!"