Oatmeal Date Bars Recipe
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups chopped dates (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice, optional
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1. Place oats in a food processor, cover and process until finely ground; set aside. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the oats, flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to fit a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; set aside.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine the dates, sugar, water and lemon juice if desired; bring to a boil. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 4. Spread over crust. Roll remaining dough to fit pan; place over filling and seal edges. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Combine glaze ingredients; spread over bars while warm. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 each: 174 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Oatmeal Date Bars
"Shortening?!? Trans fats galore! Substitute real butter or cultured butter for a healthier option!"