Oatmeal Date Bars Recipe
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg white
- In a small saucepan, combine the dates, water and sugar. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened, stirring constantly.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in the butter and egg white until blended. Pat half of the mixture into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Carefully spread with date mixture. Gently pat remaining oat mixture over date mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Oatmeal Date Bars(33)
Sort By :
cooked too long and next time add whole egg and less flour
Whole family loved!
these bars are so delicious I could eat the whole pan myself
I don't purchase deserts, I make everything from scratch.Most of my recipes comes from Taste of Home on line cooking. I purchased a box of dates a few months back and didn't have a recipe to use them in untill I came across this recipe. The only thing I did different was add a 1/2 cup of coconut and some medium chopped walnuts to the brown sugar mixture. The Bars came out delicious. I will be keeping this recipe.
We loved the texture and that fact it wasn't overly sweet. Next time I would add 1/4 c. of toasted pecans or walnuts to give it a little more crunch.
More Recipe Collections
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >