My husband, who normally isn't fond of oatmeal, thinks these old-fashioned cookies are great. With a hint of nutmeg, their aroma is wonderful as they bake...and they taste even better!
33 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, baking soda, salt nutmeg and
- cinnamon and mix well; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Flatten with a fork. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until
- lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 156 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.