Oatmeal Cookie Mix Recipe
"This easy cookie mix was a faithful standby when we needed something quick for harvest lunches on the Nebraska farm where I grew up," recalls Mary Jane Cantrell of Turlock, California.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1. Combine the first five ingredients; cut in shortening until crumbly. Add oats and mix well. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 5 batches (10 cups total).
- 2. To prepare cookies: In a bowl, combine 2 cups cookie mix, egg, milk and vanilla; mix well. Fold in chocolate chips and pecans if desired. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen per batch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC