This is my favorite recipe because it adapts so well to variations. To make these delicious muffins even more hearty, I sometimes add chopped apple, raisins or shredded carrots.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, combine oats and buttermilk; let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in eggs. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon
- and baking soda; stir into oatmeal mixture just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at
- 400° for 18-20 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan
- 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Yield: 8-10 muffins.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 160 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 206 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.