Oatmeal Cinnamon Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oats, milk, shortening, 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Punch dough down; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide in half; roll each portion into a 16-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Brush with butter. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seams to seal.
- 3. Place loaves seam side down in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if bread browns too quickly. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 each) equals 165 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 165 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Oatmeal Cinnamon Bread
"I enjoy making breads and this recipe is a joy. Very easy, light and delicious."
"I make this often, sometimes leaving the cinnamon swirl out and it is just as good."