Oatmeal Cinnamon Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oats, milk, shortening, 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Punch dough down; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide in half; roll each portion into a 16-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Brush with butter. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seams to seal.
- 3. Place loaves seam side down in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if bread browns too quickly. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 each: 165 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Oatmeal Cinnamon Bread
"I enjoy making breads and this recipe is a joy. Very easy, light and delicious."
"I make this often, sometimes leaving the cinnamon swirl out and it is just as good."