Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake
I first started making this cake when my husband was stationed with the military in California. Now, 20 years later, I've prepared it all across the country and in Germany. Chocolate lovers especially rave about this recipe!
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1-3/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup uncooked oatmeal
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, pour water over oatmeal. Allow to stand 10 minutes. Add
- sugars and butter, stirring until the butter melts. Add eggs, one at
- a time, mixing well after each addition. Sift flour, soda, cocoa and
- salt together. Add to batter. Mix well. Stir in half the chocolate
- chips. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle top
- of cake with walnuts and remaining chips. Bake at 350° for about
- 40 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 494 calories, 22 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 258 mg sodium,